BRI's Module 1: Overview of the Reading Universe and Characteristics of Structured Literacy for the 5 Components of Reading ( 5 for 5)
Designed for K-3 educators, this collection of modules addresses the following objectives:
- Foster a deep understanding of each of the five components of reading recognized by the National Reading Panel and how they form a comprehensive and integrated approach to reading instruction.
- Equip teachers with practical tools and resources that are aligned to the science of literacy acquisition and readily accessed and applied in the K-3 setting.
- Demonstrate the use of assessments and their results to guide instruction for each of the five components of reading plus the three additional skills (oral language, print awareness, and written expression) that support literacy proficiency.
- Facilitate adult learning through strategies that allow teachers to access information previously learned and to apply new knowledge and resources to strengthen practice.
In Module 1, Participants will…
- Recognize the components of effective reading instruction using BRI’s Reading Universe.
- Be able to apply skills and strategies of effective reading instruction in pre-reading/emergent literacy skills, word identification, and fluency.
- Ensure an understanding of the reading process.
- Be able to apply skills and strategies of effective reading instruction for comprehension.
- Be informed about the science of reading instruction.
- Apply the Simple View of Reading for effective reading instruction.
- Recognize why all struggling readers are not alike.
- Understand how the brain processes language.
- Recognize explicit instruction of the 5 components of reading + 3.
|Mon, Jun 25, 2018||8:30 AM - 4:00 PM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 PM||Full Day||Rossie King||Carolyn Mack||Barksdale Reading Institute - Jackson|
|Tue, Jun 26, 2018||8:30 AM - 4:00 AM|
|8:30 AM - 4:00 AM||Full Day||Rossie King||Carolyn Mack||Barksdale Reading Institute - Jackson|
|Disabilities||If you have a disability that would need an accommodation (wheelchair, visual impairment, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|
|Food Allergies||If you have a food allergy or preference (vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.), please contact us so that we can best accommodate you.|